web stats
Mirth Community - View Single Post - Database Reader Thread Count
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsmj View Post
Blasting the channel doesn't seem to cause issue either.
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. Did you follow my instructions? If so, what were the actual results?

If you're seeing a lot of errors on your destinations due to response timeouts, then a-ha, that's likely why your outbound throughput is so low. So it's not an issue with Mirth Connect or your channel per se, and more an issue with the external system you're trying to send messages to.

If your response timeout is 5 seconds and you're seeing messages timeout, then yes try increasing that, maybe 30 seconds. Then tune the number of destination queue threads as high as you want to get the throughput you're looking for, assuming the external system can handle the load.

We know right now that it takes at least 5 seconds to dispatch a single message, because that's your response timeout right now, and messages are timing out. Let's say that, assuming you increase that timeout, on average it takes 10 seconds to dispatch a single message. If you have 10 queue threads on your destination, that would be:
10 messages / 10 seconds
Or overall, a rate of:
1 message / second
If you then increase the queue threads to 100, then (ignoring other factors for the moment) you'll have 10 msg/sec.

You can continue to increase your queue threads, but at some point you'll begin to see a point of diminishing returns. That's typically because the external system you're blasting messages at simply can't process that many at once. Or it could be because of I/O write times for the underlying storage system you're using for the Mirth Connect database. Or it could be one of many other networking issues.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.