web stats
Concurrent processing: 1 channel = 1 connection? - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 09-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Mirth Newb

rwhelan is on a distinguished road
Question Concurrent processing: 1 channel = 1 connection?

Hello,
I've been reading through existing posts about async and concurrent processing, e.g.:
http://www.mirthcorp.com/community/f...ead.php?t=7446
https://www.mirthcorp.com/community/...ead.php?t=2065

The general info I've gotten is that a Mirth channel only does one thing at a time, so either I can set the channel asynchronous, and it will immediately respond "success" to the client and pass the request on for processing to other channels... or I can set the channel to be synchronous, and it will accept a connection, process the request and send back the final result... and *only then* it will accept another connection.

I'm coming from a web development world, so this seems quite odd to me! But it may also be outdated info.

Basically I need something more like a CGI or servlet model -- I need to accept, say, 200 simultaneous connections from different clients, and concurrently process their requests, returning the final result. If that processing takes 600 ms, that must *not* mean the sad 200th connecting client doesn't get a response for 2 full minutes.

Right now our whole Mirth flow is only 2 channels -- SOAP in to a channel listener, then HTTP out (to a custom service). The response from the custom service needs to go back to the caller. It could be a single channel, really, if that helps.

But what's the "right" way to set this up? One load-balancing channel and 200 processing channels seems impractical, especially if we want to scale up from there.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:45 PM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Feel free to leave any suggestions/comments here: MIRTH-3167

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:41 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

santosam is on a distinguished road

Mirth is a Service Bus which has a very different approach and business model than a web server - you get out-of-the-box messaging with all the goodies but this business model makes it difficult to solve your use case.

As I said in the JIRA issue http://www.mirthcorp.com/community/i...wse/MIRTH-3167, we had to put a HAProxy balancer in front of 60 cloned channels to keep with the producer (a 24 nodes weblogic app...), but with LLP.

You can have an async javascript transformer but then you loose the messaging control...

Tags
async, channel, concurrent, response