web stats
Java libraries for CDA (CCD, HL7v3) - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Open Source HIT > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Mirth Guru

jbartels is on a distinguished road
Default Java libraries for CDA (CCD, HL7v3)

I am working on processing CDA messages for a Java application. CDA is yet another XML standard for sending medical information, it is closely related to CCD and HL7v3.

I have already reviewed the following libraries and found them lacking, promising, but lacking.

- JAXB - Feed it a CDA XSD and let it generate classes. It'll work, but it doesn't really provide much more than a Java layer to access the XML
- HL7 JavaSIG from Regenstreif - Promising, but half the project appears to be hidden under the label "encumbered" with little information about how to gain access or get that data through proper channels.
- MDHT - Early releases, tightly bound to the modeling tools in Eclipse. Seems like it'll work, but very steep learning curve.

Any suggestions for libraries to look at?

Zen is hiring!!!!
http://consultzen.com/careers/
Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:32 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

csmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I dunno, but how come there's so many XML standards for sending medical info? What drives this sort of thing? Is there a comprehensive, curated list somewhere? How do you tell a boondoggle standard from one that's for real? Are there any statistics on actual usage? You guys at Mirth are in a position to know this sort of thing probably better than anybody.

Thanks for any insights!
Old 02-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Mirth Guru

jbartels is on a distinguished road

Forgot about this. I found MDHT, mdht.projects.openhealthtools.org . It's far more than a simple CDA library, but it can be used to generate one. They have an unofficial "standalone" release that works fairly well. Essentially you translate the standard into UML using their eclipse plugin, then that gets fed into their parser which spits out Java classes, those can then be used to actually read/write/validate messages from that standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith View Post
I dunno, but how come there's so many XML standards for sending medical info? What drives this sort of thing? Is there a comprehensive, curated list somewhere? How do you tell a boondoggle standard from one that's for real? Are there any statistics on actual usage? You guys at Mirth are in a position to know this sort of thing probably better than anybody.
The real driver is actual customers. Mirth really isn't that different from our users, if a customer has a need we try to fill it.

In my opinion, I think that the driver is the standards bodies and the big medical software vendors. If HL7.org, IBM, and GE are all using something, then the rest of us had better get on board because we'll have to talk to those systems sooner or later.

As far as actual standards, theres HL7v2 as XML and v3 which is "new". CDA is closely related to v3, both are sponsored by HL7.org. Then theres CCR from ASTM, which I really like. It's most visible backer is Google for Google Health. Finally theres CCD which I think is supposed to be a bridge between CDA and CCR.

Naturally a copy of each standard costs money, though most public libraries have the ASTM standard set available.

Zen is hiring!!!!
http://consultzen.com/careers/
Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:01 AM
OBX.1 Kenobi

joequinn
Default CDA, CCD, CCR, standards, etc.

Really appreciate this discussion thread...Jon is absolutely right that "The real driver is actual customers." and IHE (http://www.ihe.net/) seems to be the main venue where vendors can demonstrate that their products actually live up to their claims of interoperability through standards compliance.

There is a very clear explanation of CDA, CCR, and CCD in a whitepaper from CorePointHealth at http://www.corepointhealth.com/sites...n-exchange.pdf

Many of us are using mirthconnect to translate information to/from many of these standards so that our applications can be interoperable with other applications which comply with these standards. Hopefully there will be some sample channels contributed to the Mirth community which perform translations to/from CDA, CCR, and CCD formats.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

csmith is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi joequinn,

Thanks so much for the redirect to the CorePointHealth whitepapers. Indeed, they are well written and very intelligible to the beginner. Just what I needed!

Here's a very specific question about standards: do HL7-R1-conformed messages conform to the HL7-2.X standard by definition?

Any insights will be appreciated (as always)!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Mirth Newb

mgofman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to mgofman Send a message via Yahoo to mgofman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbartels View Post
I am working on processing CDA messages for a Java application. CDA is yet another XML standard for sending medical information, it is closely related to CCD and HL7v3.

I have already reviewed the following libraries and found them lacking, promising, but lacking.

- JAXB - Feed it a CDA XSD and let it generate classes. It'll work, but it doesn't really provide much more than a Java layer to access the XML
I've coded the CDA interfaces that I had a requirement for by generating classes from the XSD. That way it can be taken from system to system. (as the matter of facts I originally coded it in the SeeBeyond ICAN) and then was able to move the Jars related to the code over to Mirth.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Mirth Employee

dans is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgofman View Post
I've coded the CDA interfaces that I had a requirement for by generating classes from the XSD. That way it can be taken from system to system. (as the matter of facts I originally coded it in the SeeBeyond ICAN) and then was able to move the Jars related to the code over to Mirth.
Please share if possible. I think this would be useful for a lot of people using Mirth!

Want professional services, support, and enterprise or virtual appliances? It's all available from the Mirth Corporation:
Mirth Support | Mirth Training | Mirth Appliances | Online Training | Developer Q&A

Don't forget, Mirth Support gives you access to all of our online training videos, and silver support gives you access to developer Q&As!
Old 03-16-2010, 05:26 AM
OBX.1 Kenobi

joequinn

Yes, please share if possible. I am sure that many of us are working with Mirth in IHE transactions and having a library of available channels would save many man-hours that we could use to move on to other projects. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 AM
What's HL7?

mark.farbus is on a distinguished road

Ditto. I am very interested in being able to create PDFs from CDA messages
Old 08-27-2010, 06:09 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

magikbanana is an unknown quantity at this point

Please share

Tags
java hl7 cda ccd