web stats
New here! Question about alerts. - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 10-31-2017, 04:41 AM
What's HL7?

CraigUSACS is on a distinguished road
Default New here! Question about alerts.

Hi everyone. New user here. I am currently evaluating Mirth as a replacement for Pervasive Data Integrator 9. Over the last few weeks, I've been lurking the forums for information, watching the vidoes, and recreating our existing message processes as Mirth channels. I like what I've seen so far, and plan to really put Mirth through the paces once my network team opens up the ports in our test environment.

One thing that makes Mirth attractive is the Dashboard and Alerts, but it looks like alerts require specific events to trigger them. What if I wanted to set up an event for a lack of event? In other words, if I set up a channel to listen to inbound messages, and I want to know when the number of incoming messages drops to 100 per hour or less, how would I achieve this? Often, when incoming message traffic begins to slow, it's a sign of further problems with our billing platform, and we'd like to get in front of it.

I have other questions, but I'll post them in separate threads.
Old 10-31-2017, 07:26 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

One thing to check out if you haven't already is the User Guide, which was recently overhauled.

In case you weren't aware, our business model is a core product that is open source, supplemented with a commercial license that includes helpdesk support, monthly Q&A webinars with the Mirth Connect dev team, and access to commercial extensions among other things.

One of those extensions is Advanced Alerting, which goes beyond the simple error-based alerts and adds metric-based threshold and "sliding window" type alerts that allow you to create complex trigger conditions.

For example, an alert that triggers when the number of incoming messages is 100 or less for an hour would look like this:

There are other advanced trigger types too like Threshold (alert when certain stat is greater than some amount for some period), Deployed State (alert when a channel state is, say, Stopped for X amount of time), and the recently added SSL Certificate Validation trigger type which works in conjunction with the SSL Manager extension to trigger when a certificate has expired or has been revoked / rejected.

In addition to the advanced trigger types, Advanced Alerting allows you to set various Escalation Levels and Action Groups so you can choose to alert different groups of people based on different periods in the alert lifecycle. Maybe alert Tier 1 support at first, but escalate to Tier 2 if the issue hasn't been resolved for an hour, etc. You can set Do Not Disturb periods for each group too... maybe some groups you only want to be alerted during business hours for example.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.

Tags
alert, alerting, alerts, event, lack