web stats
performance issue with generating large DFT batch file. - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 01-06-2012, 04:12 AM

StefanScholte is on a distinguished road
Default performance issue with generating large DFT batch file.

Hi All,

I have the following situation:

I have a javascript reader source connector that queries a database.

The resultset is most of the time over 13000 records.
These records will be sent to the destination connector in a CSV format.

The destination connector will make a DFT batch file of this. and send it with LLP to the receiver.

I have this channel up and running but there is a performance issue.

this is probably due to the fact that the outbound message first needs to be xml (tmp[] = value etc.)

I wonder if there is another solution to speed things up.
it is not an option however to split up the amount of records.

I really could use some help here.

With regards
Stefan Scholte
Old 01-06-2012, 07:39 AM
OBX.3 Kenobi

panickc is an unknown quantity at this point

Turn off 'Store Message Data'?

-cp
Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 AM

I already did that.

the bottle neck lies within the parsing of the outbound dft message.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:33 AM
Mirth Employee

dans is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess the issue is when parsing the hl7 message from/to xml. If you have 13000 segments this can take quite a while to parse.

One thing you could try is to build up the header segments in tmp and build up all repeating segments in a string that you put in the channel map (let's call it additionalSegments). On the LLP destination you would put something like this in the Template:
${message.encodedData}
${additionalSegments}

Want professional services, support, and enterprise or virtual appliances? It's all available from the Mirth Corporation:
Mirth Support | Mirth Training | Mirth Appliances | Online Training | Developer Q&A

Don't forget, Mirth Support gives you access to all of our online training videos, and silver support gives you access to developer Q&As!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:21 AM

Thanks Daniel,

I will give it a try and will let you know if it worked
Old 01-09-2012, 06:32 AM

Well Daniel,

it worked but somehow the channel is leaking memory.
I already cleaned all the channelMaps variables and I only uses stringbuilders

are there other options to reclaim the used memory?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 AM
What's HL7?

tcannon is on a distinguished road
Default performance issues

I too am having performance issues with large csv files. I have written two test channels to demonstrate this. The first channel reads a csv off the filesystem and sends it to the second channel. The second channel converts the received csv to Mirth's native XML and iterates the XML to build up a json representation.

I have found that 40 column by 6000 row csv files process in under 2 seconds; however, 40 column by 60000 csv files take over 24 hours to process. I believe the entirety of the XML is being read into memory and acted on, but even this should not account for the exponential increase in processing time. The 60000 row csv is only 30MB in size and I have 2GB of RAM allocated to Mirth.

I considered opening a new thread to house my issue, but I believe this thread is describing a very similar problem even though the OP's output is dft rather than json.

I have attached a zip containing both exported channels and the sample.csv file. Any help in diagnosing and/or solving this issue will be greatly appreciated.

TC
Attached Files
File Type: zip sample_files.zip (5.45 MB, 37 views)
Old 10-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

The first channel, "tc 0 CSV Inbound"... is that just a testing channel, or is it actually basing used? Basically in that channel, you're multiplying the space you use by many times by loading it into a JavaScript variable, then placing it in the global channel map, etc. Also you're not returning anything in that JavaScript Reader, so in 2.1.1 it'll return an Undefined instance (which gets serialized into a memory address, like "org.mozilla.javascript.Undefined@20724356"). In 2.2.1 you'll encounter an NPE if you return undefined.

Anyway the first channel notwithstanding, the second channel is reading in the entire file in memory. Multiple times in fact, since for each connector there is the raw/transformed/encoded data, etc.

Unfortunately right now batching for large files is a bit deficient, but it will be MUCH improved in 3.0. In the meantime, I would suggest using a JavaScript Reader to create a BufferedReader and placing it in the global channel map (similar to what your first channel is doing). Then just return something like "dummy" (or whatever you want), just to allow your channel to process a message. From there, you can use your destination transformer to step through the input stream and convert it to JSON as you go. That way you're not loading so much into memory at one time.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Mirth Guru

upstart33 is on a distinguished road

I also have some trouble sometimes when trying to read large XML files, parse them, then write them to database. I will get alerts from Mirth about Java Heap memory issues, the GUI will freeze, and the only way to get everything back to normal is by restarting the service, which is a pain.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:53 AM
What's HL7?

tcannon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by narupley View Post
The first channel, "tc 0 CSV Inbound"... is that just a testing channel, or is it actually basing used? Basically in that channel, you're multiplying the space you use by many times by loading it into a JavaScript variable, then placing it in the global channel map, etc. Also you're not returning anything in that JavaScript Reader, so in 2.1.1 it'll return an Undefined instance (which gets serialized into a memory address, like "org.mozilla.javascript.Undefined@20724356"). In 2.2.1 you'll encounter an NPE if you return undefined.

Anyway the first channel notwithstanding, the second channel is reading in the entire file in memory. Multiple times in fact, since for each connector there is the raw/transformed/encoded data, etc.

Unfortunately right now batching for large files is a bit deficient, but it will be MUCH improved in 3.0. In the meantime, I would suggest using a JavaScript Reader to create a BufferedReader and placing it in the global channel map (similar to what your first channel is doing). Then just return something like "dummy" (or whatever you want), just to allow your channel to process a message. From there, you can use your destination transformer to step through the input stream and convert it to JSON as you go. That way you're not loading so much into memory at one time.
The second channel is what is causing the delay. Glad to read that the efficiency of processing large batch files is being addressed in 3.0. I like your idea of placing a reader in the global channel map and converting the stream real time. I'll kick that around a bit.

Thanks,

TC

Tags
dft, performance