web stats
Channel unable to handle Socket Reset exception - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 02-19-2014, 07:08 PM
What's HL7?

fasterlight is on a distinguished road
Default Channel unable to handle Socket Reset exception

Hi All,

The LLP receiver whom my LLP Sender is sending messages, uses a TCP RST packet to close the connection at a timeout. Although dirty at receiver end, but we have to work with it for now. The issue this: To recover from this, I have to redeploy the channel, each time Socket reset exception is thrown. So I would like to know is there a better way to recover from this without needing to redeploy the channel.

I have Keep Connection Open in LLP Sender set to : Yes

My mirth version is : 2.2.2.6388
Java version 1.7.0_25

Its Microsoft Windows 8 server.

Any pointers are appreciated.
-Thanks in advance
Old 02-20-2014, 05:52 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Why do you have to redeploy the channel? I'm assuming you don't have control over that LLP Server, but how exactly is that affecting your LLP Sender?

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:27 AM
What's HL7?

I am not able to reestablish connection without redeploying the channel. This is different from "Connection refused" where Mirth channel is automatically able to reconnect in next try. However when encountered with socket reset exception it remains in that state unless I redeploy.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Mirth Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterlight View Post
I am not able to reestablish connection without redeploying the channel. This is different from "Connection refused" where Mirth channel is automatically able to reconnect in next try. However when encountered with socket reset exception it remains in that state unless I redeploy.
Does the server only allow one client socket at a time? If so, you may be running into a situation where the socket is still in TIME_WAIT on the server side, and so you can't reconnect until that gets cleaned up. When that happens, instead of redeploying the channel have you tried just waiting a while and then sending another message?

Nicholas Rupley
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM
What's HL7?

You are right, Server only allows one connection at a time. The mirth channel I have continuously keep sending the messages unless its successful, so I don't WAIT and that actually may be that's why continually recurring Socket reset exception are not allowing it to clean up. I will see if I can find out what's the TIME_WAIT config at server end and then match sender to retry after that time only. Does that make sense ?
Old 02-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Mirth Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterlight View Post
You are right, Server only allows one connection at a time. The mirth channel I have continuously keep sending the messages unless its successful, so I don't WAIT and that actually may be that's why continually recurring Socket reset exception are not allowing it to clean up. I will see if I can find out what's the TIME_WAIT config at server end and then match sender to retry after that time only. Does that make sense ?
Sounds like a plan; you would probably want to use the Reconnect Interval for that (in 3.x it would be the Retry Interval on the Queue/Retry Settings).

Nicholas Rupley

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.

Tags
llp, socket reset, tcp