web stats
java.lang.NullPointerException after REST API call with HTTP Sender Connector - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 08-27-2014, 07:37 PM
Mirth Newb

mirraraenn is on a distinguished road
Default java.lang.NullPointerException after REST API call with HTTP Sender Connector

After configuring the SSL plugin and making several successful calls via HTTPS to a REST API I attempted using a query parameter to further refine the call. The only difference between a working version of the channel and a non-working version where this null pointer exception is received is the introduction of the query parameter. I've tried adding it into the Query Parameter forms area as well as directly placing it in the URL, but to no avail.

Response Status
Code:
ERROR: Error connecting to HTTP server [NullPointerException: null]
Full Stack Trace
Code:
HTTP Sender error
ERROR MESSAGE: Error connecting to HTTP server
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at java.lang.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
	at com.mirth.connect.connectors.http.HttpDispatcher.send(HttpDispatcher.java:195)
	at com.mirth.connect.donkey.server.channel.DestinationConnector.handleSend(DestinationConnector.java:599)
	at com.mirth.connect.donkey.server.channel.DestinationConnector.process(DestinationConnector.java:336)
	at com.mirth.connect.donkey.server.channel.DestinationChain.call(DestinationChain.java:224)
	at com.mirth.connect.donkey.server.channel.Channel.process(Channel.java:1428)
	at com.mirth.connect.donkey.server.channel.Channel.dispatchRawMessage(Channel.java:956)
	at com.mirth.connect.donkey.server.channel.SourceConnector.dispatchRawMessage(SourceConnector.java:175)
	at com.mirth.connect.donkey.server.channel.SourceConnector.dispatchRawMessage(SourceConnector.java:152)
	at com.mirth.connect.connectors.jdbc.DatabaseReceiver.processRecord(DatabaseReceiver.java:198)
	at com.mirth.connect.connectors.jdbc.DatabaseReceiver.processResultSet(DatabaseReceiver.java:164)
	at com.mirth.connect.connectors.jdbc.DatabaseReceiver.poll(DatabaseReceiver.java:121)
	at com.mirth.connect.donkey.server.channel.PollConnector$PollConnectorTask.run(PollConnector.java:141)
	at java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Unknown Source)
	at java.util.TimerThread.run(Unknown Source)
Old 08-28-2014, 06:56 AM
Mirth Newb

The url that works looks like this:
Code:
https://hostname/v1/contextPath/resourceName
while the non-working version looks like this:
Code:
https://hostname/v1/contextPath/resourceName?since=1407871630,1
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

The problem is probably not in the query parameters you're sending per se, but rather in the response being returned from the server. What exactly is the difference, if any? Do an in-depth network capture in both cases and post it here.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Mirth Newb

I've attached here two captures from Wire Shark - One from a successful call without query parameters and a failed call with query parameters.
Attached Files
File Type: zip WireShark Captures.zip (540.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-28-2014, 11:26 AM
Mirth Newb

Smile

Please let me know as well if there are any filters that would be useful to run in Wire Shark based on the circumstances. I've filtered on port 443 because that's where the traffic resides, but if there is anything else that could be used to narrow the field then I will re-run the captures. Thanks again for all your help Narupley.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 PM
Mirth Newb

Updated progress on troubleshooting; what we've found is that the error hinges on the presence of the equals = sign. When trying the same URL, but with encoded equals sign it succeeds, but disregards the query parameter.

Fails
Code:
Succeeds, but REST API doesn't use query parameter
Code:
https://hostname/v1/contextPath/resourceName?since%3D1407871630%2C1
Old 08-28-2014, 12:43 PM
Mirth Employee

Those captures don't make sense. The one that says "without query parameters" actually does have HTTP requests with query parameters, and those appear to be perfectly successful:

The second one that says "with query parameters" doesn't have any HTTP requests at all:

Nicholas Rupley
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM
Mirth Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirraraenn View Post
Updated progress on troubleshooting; what we've found is that the error hinges on the presence of the equals = sign. When trying the same URL, but with encoded equals sign it succeeds, but disregards the query parameter.

Fails
Code:
Succeeds, but REST API doesn't use query parameter
Code:
https://hostname/v1/contextPath/resourceName?since%3D1407871630%2C1
How do you know it's the equals sign? Have you tried just encoding the comma?

Code:
https://hostname/v1/contextPath/resourceName?since=1407871630%2C1

Nicholas Rupley

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:06 PM
Mirth Newb

Quote:
Originally Posted by narupley View Post
Those captures don't make sense. The one that says "without query parameters" actually does have HTTP requests with query parameters, and those appear to be perfectly successful:

The second one that says "with query parameters" doesn't have any HTTP requests at all:

The URLs you have for the first filter aren't the ones that the HTTP connector is performing a GET on, that may be just regular browser traffic. I'm worried that the reason you're seeing zero requests in the second trace is because the request is failing to leave Mirth at all.

I've sent the bare bones channel that exhibits the behavior in an email to the Mirth Support address so you can test yourself. It has all the right settings to make a successful call in a third party REST client tool, but not in the Mirth channel because of the exception.
Old 08-28-2014, 01:18 PM
Mirth Employee

There are literally no other HTTP requests in the first trace, those two were the only ones. Unless... you haven't decrypted any TLS traffic? There's no way for anyone to see the actual requests if they're still encrypted.

Nicholas Rupley

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.

Tags
exception, http sender, null pointer exception, query parameter