web stats
Removing Carriage Return and Line Feed from OBX segments for Embedded PDF HL7 - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 08-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Mirth Newb

derickmiller is on a distinguished road
Default Removing Carriage Return and Line Feed from OBX segments for Embedded PDF HL7

Mirth 3.4.0

When trying to process an embedded PDF, Mirth is seeing the carriage returns and line feeds at the end of each OBX line and causing it to error. I need to know how to remove these in order for the HL7 to process the OBX as on continuous line.

Part of HL7 I am receiving. There is a carriage return and line feed at the end

OBX|1|ED|TDB^^LAB^^^LN||^Img^PDF^Base64^JVBERi0xLj QKMSAwIG9iago8PAovVGl0bGUgKP7/AEQAQQBTKQovQ3JlYXRvciAo/v8pCi9Qcm9k
dWNlciAo/v8AdwBrAGgAdABtAGwAdABvAHAAZABmKQovQ3JlYXRpb25EYXR lIChEOjIwMTYwODA4
MTI1NjU0LTA0JzAwJykKPj4KZW5kb2JqCjMgMCBvYmoKPDwKL1 R5cGUgL0V4dEdTdGF0ZQovU0Eg

Error I am receiving
Transformer error
ERROR MESSAGE: Error evaluating transformer
com.mirth.connect.server.MirthJavascriptTransforme rException:
CHANNEL: PDF to Client
CONNECTOR: Destination 1
SCRIPT SOURCE:
SOURCE CODE:
39: }
40: eval('importPackage(' + Packages.java.lang.Class.forName(className).getPac kage().getName() + ')');
41: }
42: }
43: function doScript() {
44: msg = new XML(connectorMessage.getTransformedData());
45: if (msg.namespace('') != undefined) { default xml namespace = msg.namespace(''); } else { default xml namespace = ''; }
46: tmp = new XML(template);
47: function doFilter() { phase[0] = 'filter'; return true; }function doTransform() { phase[0] = 'transformer'; logger = Packages.org.apache.log4j.Logger.getLogger(phase[0]);
48:
LINE NUMBER: 44
DETAILS: TypeError: Element type "dWNlciAo" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
at e1392bda-28d4-4338-aa16-8e029c8b8be4:44 (doScript)
at e1392bda-28d4-4338-aa16-8e029c8b8be4:73
at com.mirth.connect.server.transformers.JavaScriptFi lterTransformer$FilterTransformerTask.doCall(JavaS criptFilterTransformer.java:154)
at com.mirth.connect.server.transformers.JavaScriptFi lterTransformer$FilterTransformerTask.doCall(JavaS criptFilterTransformer.java:119)
at com.mirth.connect.server.util.javascript.JavaScrip tTask.call(JavaScriptTask.java:113)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker( Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run (Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

If that embedded Base64 has only line feeds in it (0x0A) then that's fine. You can disable "Convert Line Breaks" in the inbound HL7 v2.x serialization settings, so that newlines aren't normalized to carriage returns.

If that embedded Base64 has both line feeds and carriage returns in it (CRLFs), then you have an invalid HL7 message. You need to go back to the source and tell them to stop sending you invalid data. The problem is that now you've made the message ambiguous, since carriage returns are meant to delimit new segments. You could check for any line that has 3 alphanumeric characters followed by the field separator (e.g. "|"), and remove line breaks from any other line that doesn't fit that criteria.

You also may want to consider using an attachment handler if you're receiving embedded PDFs. You can use a Regex attachment handler, and tweak the regular expression so it captures CRLFs as well. That way you won't have to deal with anything in the preprocessor.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Mirth Newb

Thanks Narupley. How would I go about checking for any line that has 3 alphanumeric characters followed by the field separator (e.g. "|"), and remove line breaks from any other line that doesn't fit that criteria. I am assuming some type of transformer on the source, but I am unsure how to write this. Any help is appreciated
Old 08-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

You would want to use a preprocessor script to do that. You have access to "message" which is the raw inbound message string. Whatever you return is processed through the channel.

I'd recommend using the regex attachment handler. You can tweak the regular expression so it will capture line breaks as well:

Code:
(?:OBX\|(?:[^|]*\|){4}(?:[^|^]*\^){4})([^|^]*?)(?:(?:\r\n|\r|\n)\w{3}\||[|^]|$)

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:54 AM
Mirth Newb

Thanks I went with a preprocessor script and was able to resolve the issue.

Tags
encoded, obx