web stats
Alert when event does not happen - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Mirth Newb

ehobbs is on a distinguished road
Default Alert when event does not happen

I've been mulling over the possible ways in which we might have Mirth notify us when something doesn't happen. For instance, a channel that takes a file from a folder every 24 hours and sends it to an FTP location. If during one polling period the file is not available, trigger an email.

I was thinking of doing some kind of write to a DB table with the last datetime that a send occurred and having another channel check this table periodically and send an email if current datetime is more than 24 hours since last datetime (or whatever interval is appropriate).

I've got a feeling I'm overthinking this and was wondering if I am missing something obvious.

Thanks for any feedback
Old 08-17-2018, 08:37 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Just an FYI, this functionality is available as part of our Advanced Alerting commercial extension. There are "threshold" and "sliding window" trigger types that allow all kinds of complex logic. For example you can alert when, say, a channel has not received any messages in the past hour/day/whatever.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 08-23-2018, 12:36 AM
OBX.1 Kenobi

hgdevanand is on a distinguished road

Hi,

You can definitely achieve it using Java script.
If while polling for file every 24 hours, if nothing is found you can invoke alerts using Javascript.

alerts.sendAlert("alert message ----");

Regards,
Dev
Old 09-20-2018, 06:02 PM
Mirth Newb

J-Flynn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehobbs View Post
I've been mulling over the possible ways in which we might have Mirth notify us when something doesn't happen. For instance, a channel that takes a file from a folder every 24 hours and sends it to an FTP location. If during one polling period the file is not available, trigger an email.

I was thinking of doing some kind of write to a DB table with the last datetime that a send occurred and having another channel check this table periodically and send an email if current datetime is more than 24 hours since last datetime (or whatever interval is appropriate).

I've got a feeling I'm overthinking this and was wondering if I am missing something obvious.

Thanks for any feedback
You wouldn't even need a database, technically speaking. Mirth has access to global maps and global channel maps, which would allow you a means to persist a variable over a period of time.

So, one setup you might do (pseudo-code):

Check file last seen:

Code:
if(globalMap.get('FileLastSeen') != null)
{
var LastSeen = globalMap.put('FileLastSeen');

var Difference = CurrentTime - LastSeen;

if(Difference > 2400)
{

//Do alert
alert();
//Reset the timer (optional)
globalMap.put('FileLastSeen',CurrentTime);
}

}
Then configure the channel to fire periodically (say, every hour) to check.

Then, your channel that does whatever with the file, in a Transformer, simply add:

Code:
if(FileFound)
{
//Assumes YYYYMMDDhhmmss stored as an integer format
globalMap.put('FileLastSeen',CurrentTime);
}

So you'd have two channels:
1) Does the FTP stuff, updates the timer in the globalMap
2) Periodically checks the time in the globalmap compared to current time for the file hasn't clocked over a certain amount of time

Optional:
3) Email channel (which is preconfigured to fire off a message)

I've got a system built similarly (it simply emails any errors detected within a 24 hour period on a particular set of channels to a specific group of people).
Old 10-04-2018, 03:03 PM
Mirth Guru

agermano is on a distinguished road

The global maps are volatile, though, so keep that in mind if you base a solution around them. They may or may not persist through a redeploy, depending on your settings, and they definitely will not persist through a mirth service restart or server reboot.