web stats
Hospital use for Mirth - what OS will do - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Open Source HIT > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 12:53 PM
What's HL7?

TChamberlain is on a distinguished road
Default Hospital use for Mirth - what OS will do

We're a Windows shop, I want to know if there is any advantage to running Mirth on Linux verus Windows.

I understand the whole Linux is "free", but thats not much of a concern since we have licenses available.

We are currently using McKesson to link to Paragon, Practie Partners and Comp1

So to sum it up, is there any "BEST" OS to run Mirth on?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Mirth Employee

jacobb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TChamberlain View Post
We're a Windows shop, I want to know if there is any advantage to running Mirth on Linux verus Windows.

I understand the whole Linux is "free", but thats not much of a concern since we have licenses available.

We are currently using McKesson to link to Paragon, Practie Partners and Comp1

So to sum it up, is there any "BEST" OS to run Mirth on?

Thanks!
We try to make Mirth Connect as "cross-platform" as possible. One useful thing about running it on windows is that we have a Windows only Mirth Connect Server Manager that starts a system tray icon for managing the Mirth Connect Windows Service, changing the Mirth Connect Database, etc. Obviously you don't need this on Linux, but it makes management a bit easier on Windows. Other than that, I don't know that you'll see many benefits to running it on one OS vs. another. The most important thing is that you know how to properly manage the OS and network it's on.

That being said, I think the best environment to run Mirth Connect in is the Mirth Appliance environment. This uses Linux (Cent OS), but it's nothing you ever have to deal with, since the whole appliance is managed through a web interface. It's got a TON of extra features and is basically a locked down and optimized system for running Mirth. Even if you don't need hardware, a great way to run an instance of Mirth is in a Mirth Appliance VM. Mirth Appliances obviously aren't free, but they can save a ton of company time. Check out appliances here: http://www.mirthcorp.com/products/mirth-appliances

Also, definitely check out the webinar for appliances coming up. More information about the upcoming webinar can be seen here: http://www.mirthcorp.com