web stats
Migrate from 1.8 to 2.0 - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

Dagan is on a distinguished road
Default Migrate from 1.8 to 2.0

Hi, I'm studying how to migrate my production server that's running in 1.8 version, into the 2.0 version. I have about 30 channels running and most of them cannot/should not be stopped. I have thought about different possibilities and the most useful for me should be making the two versions colive into the same server. My idea is install a new MIRTH version in the same server over a new database and migrate channels one by one to the new version. This should be the most optimus for me, because the other option implicates a stop of the service and a very high probability of having problems. I know I'm going to loose the message history (unless I can save the old database)
Is this possible? Can you tell me if someone has made this kind of migration? What problems may I find if I do this?
Old 06-11-2011, 03:09 AM
Mirth Guru

mourisj is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you should first install a test-server, migrate all of your channels to the new version an do some testing.
Changes have been done in SOAP, and you might run into trouble (we did !) with SOAP calls !

Additionnally, some functions are being replaced by new functions; the old functions are still available, but they are giving you warn messages in your logs at every call ! So you should prepare migration of these functions ASAP.

Finally, I'd run the (migrated) channels temporarily from the testserver, upgrade your mirth server and then install the migrated channels on this server.
Follow the migration instructions on the Mirth Website.

I did never do a parallel install of different mirth versions.
We run two servers in parallel (different channles on different servers); for migration, we are probably going to run prodction on server 1 (old version), migrate server 2 to new version, run all channels on new server, keeping old versions in standby on server 1. If no problems occur , migrate server 1 to new version.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:40 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

Hi Mourisj, thanks for your reply.
I know new Mirth version has a lot of changes, this is the reason why I want to do an "special" migration. I am thinking about co-living the two versions in one server because is the best way to keep alive the production server without stopping. I am so afraid about stoping, migrate and start with all the new channels in the new version .
I'm afraid I can't use two different server because applications of other manufacters connect to the server with this IP and port.

So I only have two options, migrate all channels in a testing environment, and one day stop, migrate mirth, load channels and start (all of this should be made praying a lot, because going backwards is so difficult). Or trying to mount two different versions of MIRTH in the same server and go little by little migrating channels.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Mirth Employee

jacobb is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, if you follow the upgrade guide you will not lose any message history. The database is migrated for you when you start up the new server pointed to the old database. Just remember to back it up first because you cannot migrate the database back down to an older version.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:04 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobb View Post
Actually, if you follow the upgrade guide you will not lose any message history. The database is migrated for you when you start up the new server pointed to the old database. Just remember to back it up first because you cannot migrate the database back down to an older version.
yes I know, but this is the minor problem for me. I mean, I don't mind lossing message history, in fact, I can save the database and keep it. As I said my biggest issue is that I cannot stop my systems while I migrate the server. Or, If I have to do it, I should start them in a very short time.
This is why I'm starting to test in a testing server, to colive 1.8 version and 2.1, and see if I can migrate one channel, stop the 1.8 version and start it in the 2.1. If this works properly, I should try to do it in production. If not, I should have to migrate the actual 1.8 to 2.1 and pray because if something goes wrong, I have no option to go backwards.

I will tell you the result of my tests, may be some of you are interested on it.

Thanks for your replies!!