web stats
Connecting to channel, securely (HTTPS Listener) - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 03-03-2015, 04:13 AM
OBX.1 Kenobi

ab2488587 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Connecting to channel, securely (HTTPS Listener)

Is there any way to assure an encrypted connection though HTTP/WS Listener, without having the SSL Manager plugin (which needs to be heavily paid for)?

I've heard Stunnel might be an alternative, but if I'm not mistaken, that's only for sending securely, I need to connect to a channel securely.

Is there plans for offering SSL Manager plugin for academic purposes or as a separate, less brutally expensive subscription?
Old 03-03-2015, 06:30 AM
OBX.1 Kenobi

It appears that Stunnel can act as both server and client so it might just be the solution.
I'm wondering if it is possible to send a message and get a response securely, like so:
Quote:
Origin -> Stunnel port (secure) -> Mirth port (unsecure) -> Process and respond -> Stunnel port (secure) -> Origin

Also, is it true to say that, in order for me to secure a SOAP Listener channel, I'll have to send SOAP envelopes the same way I'd send an HTTP message (through Stunnel)?

Last edited by ab2488587; 03-03-2015 at 06:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-05-2015, 09:21 AM
Mirth Newb

clarkmirth is on a distinguished road

I haven't tried this, but could you use a ssl termination proxy? I think nginx and haproxy could do that kind of thing. They basically handle the https stuff and pass unencrypted traffic back to mirth. haproxy is pretty cool tool to check out anyway, load balancing and routing.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:39 PM
OBX.2 Kenobi

rastababy

Would recommend trying STUNNEL. We use it and it works with no problems. I believe STUNNEL is used on the Mirth SSL Connector as well on the commercial support version.

We send and receive messages/responses thru STUNNEL as well for webservices.
Old 03-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastababy View Post
Would recommend trying STUNNEL. We use it and it works with no problems. I believe STUNNEL is used on the Mirth SSL Connector as well on the commercial support version.

We send and receive messages/responses thru STUNNEL as well for webservices.
Just for clarification, Mirth Connect doesn't use stunnel at all for any of our SSL-related features, either in core or the SSL Manager. It's all built from the ground-up, occasionally using BouncyCastle for some things.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 03-13-2015, 07:51 AM
OBX.1 Kenobi

Thanks for the suggestions!
Nick, any comments on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2488587 View Post
Is there plans for offering SSL Manager plugin for academic purposes or as a separate, less brutally expensive subscription?
Old 03-13-2015, 09:46 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2488587 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!
Nick, any comments on this?
For that, contact our sales team and they'll know the answer: http://www.mirthcorp.com/company/contact

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM
Mirth Newb

hmoen@saludmedica.com is on a distinguished road

STunnel works great and easy to setup if you are able to install STunnel [client mode] on the same private network the WS client is located. In our use case that was not possible, so we use Haproxy as a proxy for SSL termination with basic http authorization so that no additional software would need to be installed on the client side. I'm sure Nginx could do the same, but might be overkill. It's nice as well that mirth connect is not directly accessible via public port and passwords for http auth are encrypted inside haproxy config.

Tags
https