Requesting for help on HL7 --urgent - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Open Source HIT > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 AM
What's HL7?

mainak.paul is on a distinguished road
Post Requesting for help on HL7 --urgent

Hello All,

Greetings !
I am a novice to HL7 and only know few things about it(havenot worked on any Interface Engines nor Interface Implementations).
I had been lookings through various forums and all of them suggested and advised me about MIRTH.

So, I need all your help in guiding me in learning and mainly starting to work on HL7 Interface Integration between two disperate clinical applications.

Its something like this ,let me explain my query with an example.

"We have a Epic HIS system that places orders(lab,medications..etc) presently.Now,next these lab orders are to be verified and resulted in
a seperate Cerner application.

For this,what i understand is there has to be a INTERFACE ENGINE which has to read the HL7 messages coming from the EPIC system and
translate them to proper messages for the Cerner SYSTEM and then write into their database.

So,could you please explain me with an example about how an interface engine is implemented which reads the HL-7 messages first and translates them
to Cerner application format.

How will i implement a Interface Engine here which would read the EPIC data?

What steps are involved? An example would be best.

Mainly,orders are first placed in EPIC and is to resulted in Cerner applications.

**PLEASE PLEASE help me with understanding the process,and how to do interface intregation with an Interface Engine?

I am very much looking forward to your help and support.

Thanks
Mainak
Old 03-13-2010, 07:44 AM
What's HL7?

mainak.paul is on a distinguished road
Question Please help me-Continued

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainak.paul View Post
Hello All,

Greetings !
I am a novice to HL7 and only know few things about it(havenot worked on any Interface Engines nor Interface Implementations).
I had been lookings through various forums and all of them suggested and advised me about MIRTH.

So, I need all your help in guiding me in learning and mainly starting to work on HL7 Interface Integration between two disperate clinical applications.

Its something like this ,let me explain my query with an example.

"We have a Epic HIS system that places orders(lab,medications..etc) presently.Now,next these lab orders are to be verified and resulted in
a seperate Cerner application.

For this,what i understand is there has to be a INTERFACE ENGINE which has to read the HL7 messages coming from the EPIC system and
translate them to proper messages for the Cerner SYSTEM and then write into their database.

So,could you please explain me with an example about how an interface engine is implemented which reads the HL-7 messages first and translates them
to Cerner application format.

How will i implement a Interface Engine here which would read the EPIC data?

What steps are involved? An example would be best.

Mainly,orders are first placed in EPIC and is to resulted in Cerner applications.

**PLEASE PLEASE help me with understanding the process,and how to do interface intregation with an Interface Engine?

I am very much looking forward to your help and support.

Thanks

Mainak
HI all,

I havenot received any suggestions/advise for my query. Is my query not much related to what is usually asked here?

Please correct me if i hve missed anything and hope you all will surely help me
with your suggestions.

Thanks
Mainak
Old 03-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Mirth Guru

mourisj is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Your question is quite widespread, looks like you have not a lot of knowledge of how things work. So try to learn more about HL7 and also your softwares that need to communicate.

Basically, some piece of software (HIS, LIS, ...) sends out pieces of information about patients (like demographics, orders, etc.) . This information is routed to one or more other systems that pick it up and do someting with it.

Sending and receiving can be done with files, socket connections, and more others.

Mirth is intended to provide transformations and routing tasks between the different systems. There are several reasons for this:

- Usually you have one single output (e.g. one file per piece of information), but you have several destinations (e.g. your HIS sends to Lab, RIS, Kitchen, ...)
- Although HL7 is a standard, messages need sometimes be adapted to specific needs of some software (e.g. translating department IDs, processing special characters, rearranging adress information, ...); not all software respects the standards completely, so you have to translate !
- Mirth provides backup/archiving of your messages if you want it, and you can go back in message history to see what had been transmitted, very useful in case of problems.

Best for you would be to contact the vendors or the manufacturers of both your applications that neet to communicate. Usually, they have outgoing and incoming interface engines. (You should check if you have the licenses for the interface engines, otherwise you have to purchase them first)
Then you need to analyze the requirements and specifications of both sides and work out the required translations, then implement them, do some testing, etc.

It is not a good idea to read/write directly in databases of some applications without the agreement of the manufacturer.

Even if no particular processing would be needed for your current interface, I'd recommend Mirth anyway, as the need for interfaces will surely increase. The more I work with Mirth, the more I see places where an interface would be nice, or I find ways to solve problems in an easy and efficient way.

BTW, you should post this kind of general request in the Mirth connect forum ...

Greetings,

Last edited by mourisj; 03-26-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:01 PM
What's HL7?

sadie is on a distinguished road

I have been trying to set up an LLP listener, but I cannot get it to connect to the server. I have succesfully connected with a TCP listener using the same settings. It would seem they should work with the same settings. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I know the TCP listener works because I have sent it a message from HL7Comm and have received a simple AO8 message. I have included my channels as atacments.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
OBX.3 Kenobi

myoung34 is on a distinguished road

the difference between tcp and llp are beginning/end of message segments. If you are not using these in the send, then the llp won't work correctly.

Tags
hl7, interface engine