web stats
Receiving mllp hl7 messages from multiple sources - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 02-19-2009, 08:02 AM
OBX.3 Kenobi

jerchap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Receiving mllp hl7 messages from multiple sources

If I have one llp receive channel, can Mirth handle receiving messages from multiple sources? Is there a limit?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Mirth Guru

quimicefa is on a distinguished road
Default Re:Receiving mllp hl7 messages from multiple sourc

What do you mean with "multiple sources"? many systems piping messages to the same Mirth channel?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 AM
OBX.3 Kenobi

quimicefa wrote:
Quote:
What do you mean with "multiple sources"? many systems piping messages to the same Mirth channel?
That's what I mean. One mirth channel set up as LLP receive. Several 3rd party applications openning tcpip connections all to the same ip address and port, and sending HL7 messages to mirth.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Mirth Employee

dans is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think there is a limit on how many source systems can send to one Mirth channel. At least I don't think you have to worry about it unless you have hundreds of systems sending to the same channel.

Want professional services, support, and enterprise or virtual appliances? It's all available from the Mirth Corporation:
Mirth Support | Mirth Training | Mirth Appliances | Online Training | Developer Q&A

Don't forget, Mirth Support gives you access to all of our online training videos, and silver support gives you access to developer Q&As!
Old 02-20-2009, 08:46 AM
OBX.3 Kenobi

dans wrote:
Quote:
I don't think there is a limit on how many source systems can send to one Mirth channel. At least I don't think you have to worry about it unless you have hundreds of systems sending to the same channel.
I ask because we've got a situation where we have around 30 outbound HL7 interfaces in our 3rd party application all sending to 1 inbound mirth channel. Each outbound interface opens it's own tcpip connection, and we're finding that periodically these outbound interfaces are crashing. The vendor is asking if there are limits to how many connections mirth can handle on a single channel. They're speculating that there are limits which are being reached due to the amount of outbound interfaces trying to make connections to mirth, and that a limit is being reached by mirth and the outbound interfaces aren't handling it gracefully. I still think the problem is on the 3rd party application side, but I do need to get the details about how mirth works in this scenario, so I can arm myself with an answer for the vendor.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 AM
Mirth Guru

quimicefa is on a distinguished road

Well, the first limit on the connections is related to the max files open, at least in unix environments. Check it with "ulimit -a", but this limit is related with the concurrent sockets that are handled by the interface.

AFAIK, also the JVM can be tweaked to raise the max connections that can handle.

I think that this is not a Mirth limitation, but an OS/tuning one depending on the configuration of the OS, hardware, network drivers ...
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 PM
OBX.3 Kenobi

mnowlin is an unknown quantity at this point

jerchap wrote:

Quote:
Each outbound interface opens it's own tcpip connection, and we're finding that periodically these outbound interfaces are crashing. The vendor is asking if there are limits to how many connections mirth can handle on a single channel.
If "crashing" means what tech people usually mean when using that term, I'd be asking the vendor why their application has problems talking to that many connections. Seems to me like it's bad error handling on the sending application's part.

Post edited by: mnowlin, at: 02/26/2009 23:29
Old 02-27-2009, 06:59 AM
OBX.3 Kenobi

mnowlin wrote:

If "crashing" means what tech people usually mean when using that term, I'd be asking the vendor why their application has problems talking to that many connections. Seems to me like it's bad error handling on the sending application's part.<br><br>Post edited by: mnowlin, at: 02/26/2009 23:29[/quote]

You're probably right, I just wanted some external opinions to validate what I thought was the real problem here. And I think you guys provided that. Thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:08 AM
Mirth Newb

smeyer

Really old thread, but if anybody has been in this situation and could post what they did to resolve it, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
OBX.3 Kenobi

We didn't necessarily resolve the issue, but decided to go with multiple inbound channels, that all pushed the message to a common channel that had the common logic. I think this is best practice anyhow, as it lets you troubleshoot/see stats, etc for each incomming interface. I beleive that from a best practice perspective you should strive for a 1:1 relationship between sending systems and inbound channels, and a 1:1 relationship between outbound channels and receiving systems as well.