web stats
Which listener or setup in general? - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 01-31-2013, 01:09 AM
What's HL7?

navihtot is on a distinguished road
Default Which listener or setup in general?

Hi, i'm new to mirth and hl7 in general.
First of all, I want to thank developers for this great tool

Need some help getting started and choosing right & best config for me.
I'm a lead developer on a hospital system web app in php (codeigniter). We, of course, need to implement hl7 communication with hospital devices, and scheduling system (term reservation) also using hl7.

For scheduling I need https source listener (given by national health institute), and as i can see it's not supported by mirth without purchasing support.
As we are small company of open source enthusiasts just starting our bussines, without big bucks, I would pretty much like to go with free version for now.

For me, I think the easyest setup would be to use database for source listener, so I can have https page on which I just insert new scheduling requests in DB with some php, and then have mirth handle the messages. I'm wondering is this solution database heavy? (requests for scheduling are around 200/min)

Also, i need mirth to call url with post (with values retrived from message) to get first free term, and then transform result to hl7 and return it.

So, basically, i'm asking how to achieve this scheduling workflow in most painless and resource lowest way?

I am planning to have separate server for mirth which then communicates with our app server. And would like to know, in general, how much resources would be optimal for mirth to run on?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-31-2013, 09:27 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

The SSL Manager is a commercial plugin and does require a valid support contract, but that's not stopping you from using a third-party proxy like stunnel.

200 messages per minute is actually a rather low volume instance in my opinion... a lot of our clients have systems set up that process several hundred messages per second.

Assuming that you're planning on running standalone instances rather than Appliances, you would need to consider things like a NAS (perhaps with RAID and a backup plan), whether you want to manage a VM infrastructure with something like VMware ESXi, etc. Disk I/O is always a bottleneck, so definitely go for SSDs, or at least a FASTCache-like configuration where SSDs buffer reads/writes to the underlying HDD array.

I'm just guessing at your particular scenario, but assuming that it's going to be a fairly low-volume instance you might be able to get away with some like 4 cores, 4-8 GB RAM, ~100 GB usable SSD space. Multiply that by two or so if you want some sort of VM-based HA / FT.

Also, your example of having a channel query a database, pull out values to build up an HTTP POST request, send the request to a remote server, retrieve a result, transform it into HL7, and send it on somewhere, is all very feasible and actually easy to do. I've posted an example channel to illustrate.
Attached Files
File Type: xml Example - HTTP POST to HL7.xml (9.8 KB, 42 views)

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:49 PM
What's HL7?

wow. thank you very much for your reply. it helps alot.
i think server will run on VM structure, but didn't really have a chance to discuss this with my server guy (as he is out of country). thanks for server hardware recommendation, for sure we want to go as low on the budget as we can, for now.

i'll look into example channnel, really appreciate it
Old 02-01-2013, 12:54 AM
What's HL7?

One question: In your channel example you only retrieved patient_id from database and then use it to make post request. I would like to retrieve hl7 message from database which was not processed, and then get data from that message needed to make post request. How could i transform hl7 message to get variables in this step?

Let me try to explain better what i had in mind. I need to implement web service, from existing WSDL file, which needs to get available term for procedure. I will get hl7 msg in request. as it's not so easy (for me, as i have not used java a long time) to implement my web service in myrth, i thought of implementing one in php and have next scenario:

Health institute <-> WSDL <-> DB with request hl7 messages <-> mirth <-> API of my hospital system

sorry if my questions are maybe too trivial, but it's all really new to me