web stats
ASTM Client Receiver - Page 3 - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurun View Post
Sounds very cool. Looking forward to 3.0 release, and I do believe we will start using it within the first 6 months.

Server-mode of the listener is not what you think (I believe). It acts exactly like a TCP sender, but with the only difference that the socket is a listener, and the receiving system (LIS) connects the socket, and then goes into wait state (looking for ENQ in the case of 1381/LIS1). The message exchange is still driven from Mirth.
It would be kind of like having a listener (Mirth) and only send responses, over and over and over again.
The TCP Listener has two modes (Client or Server), and really the only difference is whether Mirth Connect is the one initializing the TCP connection. The ASTM Listener could be set up in either mode, but in both cases Mirth Connect would be the one waiting for the enquiry (on the listener side of things anyway). On the sender side, Mirth Connect always initializes the TCP connection and sends the enquiry.

Really it's a matter of semantics; in Mirth Connect, the goal of Listener/Reader connectors is to get a message into the channel, while the goal of Sender/Writer connectors is to send a message out of the channel. What you're describing would be a TCP Sender connector in "Server mode", similar to how the TCP Listener has a "Client mode".

As far as I am aware and as far as the E1381 specifications read, there is nothing that dictates which side should initialize the TCP connection (indeed it says nothing about TCP at all, just the actual delimited phase-based protocol). So it doesn't really matter which side initializes the TCP socket or whether the socket is destructed/reconstructed between each transfer, etc., LIS-1 is agnostic of all of that.

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Mirth Newb

gurun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by narupley View Post
What you're describing would be a TCP Sender connector in "Server mode", similar to how the TCP Listener has a "Client mode".
Absolutely On target.

And you are right about not being part of the specs. However, you have to remember where all this is coming from. Low level serial connectivity. And in that case, when they implemented TCP/IP in the LIS systems they did that as a brutal hack, leaving all the connectivity half serial in concept. So, that is why so many LIS is doing it like this. It is stuff like this you don't read in the specs, but need in order for anyone to use it in reality. As I hinted earlier, ASTM is not really about implementing standards...

I think it is good to remember that in Europe, basically no LIS is using HL7. The absolute other way in US. So in Europe the serial-legacy way heavy on all of us, server mode (or LIS client mode) being the worst legacy. I can mention at least one market in Europe where 90% of the LIS is one vendor, and they ONLY support serial still today (but we use hardware to convert of course). But then you need both real 1381 and server connection mode. Cut away that functionality, and you cut away a whole country (!)

But just as the case with stunnel, this CAN be taken care of outside of Mirth too, like most other things of course. We do have a windows service that can be used for this stuff.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM
Mirth Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurun View Post
Absolutely On target.

And you are right about not being part of the specs. However, you have to remember where all this is coming from. Low level serial connectivity. And in that case, when they implemented TCP/IP in the LIS systems they did that as a brutal hack, leaving all the connectivity half serial in concept. So, that is why so many LIS is doing it like this. It is stuff like this you don't read in the specs, but need in order for anyone to use it in reality. As I hinted earlier, ASTM is not really about implementing standards...

I think it is good to remember that in Europe, basically no LIS is using HL7. The absolute other way in US. So in Europe the serial-legacy way heavy on all of us, server mode (or LIS client mode) being the worst legacy. I can mention at least one market in Europe where 90% of the LIS is one vendor, and they ONLY support serial still today (but we use hardware to convert of course). But then you need both real 1381 and server connection mode. Cut away that functionality, and you cut away a whole country (!)

But just as the case with stunnel, this CAN be taken care of outside of Mirth too, like most other things of course. We do have a windows service that can be used for this stuff.
Very good points there. I've created an issue for that specifically (vote for it if you'd like): MIRTH-2446.

Nicholas Rupley
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:45 PM
Mirth Newb

gurun is on a distinguished road

+1 voted. Thanks for taking the time to "listen".
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 PM
What's HL7?

rodbergs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vognstang View Post
this post does not seem to generate much interest, but anywho, i added some stuff and done some testing of the connector... so here goes...
Hi - I am a total newby to Mirth, having a look as I was trawling the net for a solution to implementing a simple ASTM listener that would allow me to capture the messages then write to disc or similar so we can transform to XML. I see there is discussion here on ASTM but can't find the plugin download for version 3 (is there actually one available, or is it only available via paid support?)
Cheers
Rod
Old 12-11-2013, 06:56 AM
Mirth Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodbergs View Post
Hi - I am a total newby to Mirth, having a look as I was trawling the net for a solution to implementing a simple ASTM listener that would allow me to capture the messages then write to disc or similar so we can transform to XML. I see there is discussion here on ASTM but can't find the plugin download for version 3 (is there actually one available, or is it only available via paid support?)
Cheers
Rod
That's correct, the ASTM E1381 transmission mode and ASTM E1394 data type plugins are available to support customers. More info here, and you can contact sales as well. Thanks!

Nicholas Rupley

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:25 PM
What's HL7?

rodbergs is on a distinguished road

Cheers - thanks for the info
Old 03-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Mirth Employee

I posted this on the issue as well, but just in case for those of you that aren't watching the issue in JIRA:

In your opinion what's the correct behavior when multiple clients connect to the server socket on the TCP Sender? When a message is ready to be dispatched, I'm assuming it should be sent to all currently connected clients, not just one of them, right? Or should that be configurable in some fashion (like a round-robin option)? Or do multiple clients not really make sense in this scenario? Instead of allowing that (along with a max connections option like the receiver has), we could also just always only allow one client to connect at a time.

Nicholas Rupley

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:31 AM
What's HL7?

soloincc is on a distinguished road
Default Mirth connect ASTM support

Quote:
Originally Posted by narupley View Post
That's correct, the ASTM E1381 transmission mode and ASTM E1394 data type plugins are available to support customers. More info here, and you can contact sales as well. Thanks!
Does this mean that I cannot use Mirth connect to receive data from an analyser which sends data using the ASTM protocol? Can I create a channel with a TCP connector type and Basic Transmission as the Transmission mode to receive the data? Will this work or the Transmission mode MUST be ASTM?
Old 06-22-2015, 07:18 AM
Mirth Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloincc View Post
Does this mean that I cannot use Mirth connect to receive data from an analyser which sends data using the ASTM protocol? Can I create a channel with a TCP connector type and Basic Transmission as the Transmission mode to receive the data? Will this work or the Transmission mode MUST be ASTM?
Basic TCP will not work for the ASTM E1381 protocol because the latter is a vastly different beast with many back-and-forth frames and ACKs.

Nicholas Rupley

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.