web stats
How to learn/prototype Mirth for a Lab LIS - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Development

Old 04-25-2016, 09:34 AM
What's HL7?

iainduncan is on a distinguished road
Default How to learn/prototype Mirth for a Lab LIS

Hi, we're just getting into the world of Mirth and HL7 and I would like to get a running proof-of-concept stack up that will cover a test order and results lifecycle. IE: simulation of EMR-to-lab test order HL7 message going from something that represents the EMR into Mirth, off to our middleware, to the LIS, and back out again with results.

I'm not sure where to start this process, I can install Mirth and our LIS locally, but I don't know what to use to make sure I'm simulating the originating part. Should I try something like OpenEMR? Are there other ways to mock out that part?

thanks!
Old 05-17-2016, 09:58 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

jack.downes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iainduncan View Post
Hi, we're just getting into the world of Mirth and HL7 and I would like to get a running proof-of-concept stack up that will cover a test order and results lifecycle. IE: simulation of EMR-to-lab test order HL7 message going from something that represents the EMR into Mirth, off to our middleware, to the LIS, and back out again with results.

I'm not sure where to start this process, I can install Mirth and our LIS locally, but I don't know what to use to make sure I'm simulating the originating part. Should I try something like OpenEMR? Are there other ways to mock out that part?

thanks!
Wait, so you have an EMR? Do you have a Test version of said EMR? why not use that?

If not, can you get the vendor to turn on the orders side? You can always delete everything associated - or - put another Mirth instance just after the test orders side to do a few transforms and obsfucate the patient names and identifying data. that might be the simplest in the long run - if you can get data from the vendor.

Doing mock-up work, cool and all, but nothing beats having the actual data you'll be working with so you can model real world information.

Tags
hl7 messages, lab results, lis