web stats
Can't connect to server after upgrade - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 08-19-2019, 11:58 AM
Mirth Newb

stolliver is on a distinguished road
Question Can't connect to server after upgrade

Hi,

Attempting to upgrade our Mirth 3.4.2.8129 server (Centos 7.6.1810) to the latest 3.8 version.

Followed all upgrade instructions (on a cloned test server). Started up the server and all appears to be running.

In a Chrome browser (on my Windows 10 box) I enter http://myMirthCloneServer:8080 and, eventually after clicking the JNLP file that was downloaded to my box, the "Mirth Connect Login" box appears.

The server URL has slightly changed as it's now an HTTPS entry along with an 8443 port number. I enter my credentials and the status message displays that it's "authenticated", then the next message is that it's "loading extensions" and then the following error shows up ...
"There was an error connecting to the server at the specified address. Please verify that the server is up and running
I feel pretty confident that the server is up and running because when I use the "Web Dashboard Sign in" I'm able to access the server and view the status of the running interfaces.

I thought that maybe going from 3.4 all the way up to 3.8 was a bit optimistic so I re-cloned my server and attempted to go from 3.4 up to 3.5.0.8232. The exact same issue.

I've checked the Mirth server logs and there is no activity at all in the logs.

Thanks for any advice on what may be happening here.

Shelby
Old 08-20-2019, 04:17 AM
Mirth Newb

Default Additional info... (NullPointerException)

Wanted to add some addition information as I've cleared my Java cache and turned on logging (from the client side). The Java console is showing a NullPointerException when the error occurs which is...

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.components.tag.MirthTa gField.<init>(MirthTagField.java:74)
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.ChannelPanel.initCompo nents(ChannelPanel.java:3304)
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.ChannelPanel.<init>(Ch annelPanel.java:202)
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.Frame.setupFrame(Frame .java:401)
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.Mirth.<init>(Mirth.jav a:63)
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.LoginPanel$8.doInBackg round(LoginPanel.java:475)
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.LoginPanel$8.doInBackg round(LoginPanel.java:412)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker( Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run (Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Old 08-20-2019, 04:38 AM
Mirth Guru

agermano is on a distinguished road

What java version are you using on the client?

Have you tried using the Administrator Launcher to see if that makes a difference?

https://www.mirthcorp.com/community/...d.php?t=218662
Old 08-20-2019, 04:54 AM
Mirth Newb

Default Same problem

Thanks for your note.

Am running Java 1.8.0_181-b13 on my client.

I downloaded and ran the "Mirth Connect Administrator Launcher", turned on the Java Console and am getting the same NullPointerException.

Is my Java version not compatible ?

Thanks,

Shelby
Old 08-20-2019, 07:09 AM
Mirth Guru

Can you log into your 3.4.2 clone before attempting the upgrade?

Your java version should be fine. The Admin Launcher actually comes with a bundled Java 8, as well, so you aren't required to have it installed separately.
Old 08-20-2019, 07:48 AM
Mirth Newb

Yes. In fact I was just looking in to that. I re-cloned again and tested the client which came up just fine.

Wondering if there's any additional logging I could turn on that would help expose the issue any better. The status display on the login form overwrites any previous messages, so when the red error message displays, you can't see all the messages leading up to the error (if there are any)
Old 08-20-2019, 08:05 AM
Mirth Newb

Here's another tid-bit to add to this.

I turned the Java console on when testing my cloned 3.4.2 system and while it worked bringing up the full Mirth dashboard I did get a NullPointerException, very similar to the one I was getting after the upgrade attempt. Here's what the exception is:

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.LoginPanel$8.doInBackg round(LoginPanel.java:486)
at com.mirth.connect.client.ui.LoginPanel$8.doInBackg round(LoginPanel.java:412)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker( Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run (Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

This is almost the same exception, except it diverts above the line w/(LoginPanel.java:412) [working from bottom to top]

The next thing I did was to see if my "active / production" client threw the same exception and it did, so it still appears that the cloning process isn't the reason for the issue.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:22 AM
Mirth Newb

Default Next Steps

So, I decided to punt on trying to upgrade from my Mirth 3.4.2 (on a 'headless' Centos box) up to Mirth 3.8. Really need the Mirth Dashboard to get my work done

My next idea was to install a brand new Mirth 3.8 on my cloned server and import all my settings saved from my 3.4.2 system. Will have to leave all my transaction history behind by doing this, but hey, gotta keep up with the latest version.

Things got crazy going that route as well. I could not, for the life of me, get the Mirth 3.8 system to create the Mirth schema in my MySQL database (which runs on a different Centos server) Was getting an error saying it couldn't migrate the database because the SCHEMA_INFO table was missing. Huh?? Isn't it supposed to create the tables on a migration? The db user making the changes had full privs on the server. Punt again.

Finally, the only way I could get the 3.8 Mirth system running on my Centos box was to install MySQL and Mirth 3.8 on my Windows 10 box. There was no trouble getting the schema in to my Windows MySQL database. Once I did that I used mysqldump to get an sql backup of the empty database (which contains pretty much just the schema, and very little data). I then moved the backup file over to my Centos box and created the empty MySQL 3.8 Mirth schema there. Had a slight issue due to the fact that the Windows schema was created with "lower case" table names (which don't work on the Linux box). Simple enough I just edited the backup file and changed all the table names to UPPERCASE. Once this was done, my Mirth 3.8 system was able to come up just fine and all I had to do was import my saved settings and I'm up and running.

Shoooo Wheee ! I sure hope I don't have to go this route on the next upgrade!!!
Old 08-22-2019, 04:07 PM
Mirth Guru

That sounds like a miserable experience, but I'm glad you got it working eventually!

Tags
error connecting, extensions, upgrade