web stats
Puzzling Javascript Error in Regexp on Mirth 1.8.2.4472 - Page 2 - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 08-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Mirth Newb

bassicallychris is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the explanation! That makes a lot of sense to me, I'm still fuzzy on why the distinction needed to be made when using a variable that directly represents a string passed to the function vs. not needed when iterationing through an object passed to the function resulting in using
Code:
object[property]
which also directly represents a string.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:40 PM
Mirth Guru

agermano is on a distinguished road

When using typeof on a js primitive string it returns 'string'. typeof on an instance of java.lang.String will return 'object'.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:57 AM
Mirth Newb

bassicallychris is on a distinguished road

This makes sense, I think my initial message caused confusion because in reality I was using the string variable without appending ` "" ` to it but I believe I've still understood this.

To confirm, there are JavaScript and Java replace functions that are written differently and Rhino doesn't know which one to use unless the string is explicitly defined as either a JS or Java string. When performing the typeof evaluation you're letting Rhino know that you're using a JS string but if you just feed it a string it doesn't know which replace function to use.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:42 AM
Mirth Guru

agermano is on a distinguished road

If you pass a javascript regular expression as the first parameter, it will work if you're calling it on a javascript string, and it won't work on a java string, because it's expecting either a char or CharSequence as the first parameter, and Rhino can't tell which one you meant to call.

If you pass strings as both parameters, it will work because both the java and js methods behave the same way in this case, and the javascript strings will get converted to CharSequences when called on a java string, so it's not ambiguous like when passing a regex.

Tags
javascript, regexp