Mirth message volume - Page 2 - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > General Discussion

Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Where are the forums?

MikeCaldwell
Default Re:Mirth message volume

jbartels wrote:
Quote:
Like all Java apps it WILL suck up all your free RAM if you let it, set the XMax option appropriately. You'll also want to run Mirth itself on something other than its internal Derby database. I've had good results with both Postgres and SQL Server.
I tried java -X to review the advanced options, I don't see anything like XMax unless you are talking about -Xmx? What do you set it to? Example? Thanks
Centricity PM/EMR Support - Developer - Network Engineer
http://MirthPRO.Com
Old 05-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Where are the forums?

MikeCaldwell

MichaelP wrote:
Quote:
I am investigating using Mirth to replace an existing HL7 interface. The current interface has hit the proverbial wall with message volume...to the point where it's throwing errors, failing to process some messages, and even completely dropping some messages.

The current interface receives hospital ADT data (roughly 4000-6000 message per day), and maintains multiple databases (SQL Server) for various department functions as well as interactive reporting services. It's very database intensive. Virtually every ADT message that comes over prompts some type of datawrite activity.

Should I expect Mirth to handle this volume?
FYI. With the standard config, last night I seen Mirth pull in 68000+ messages in a couple minutes if that long and didn't sweat it and continues to do 12-15,000 a day without problems that I can see so far and these are LABs as well (ORU's) with quite a bit more data than the ADT's which it is also doing.
Centricity PM/EMR Support - Developer - Network Engineer
http://MirthPRO.Com
Old 05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Mirth Employee

jacobb is an unknown quantity at this point

quimicefa wrote:
Quote:
In addition to the above, I've got a rate of +300.000 msg/hour taking data with a SOAP listener and writing the message to a remote SFTP server. All the messages are stored in the database (Oracle 10) installed in the same box.

These tests were performed with a Dell 8 core box, linux ... etc. Is an enterprise class server.

I think that Mirth really doesn't have any problem with the performance, as 300.000msg/hour is at least 1000 times higher than any rate I've never seen in a production environment.
Does your channel have a source transformer or filter? How about a destination transformer or filter? What version of mirth are you using? I'm interested to see what type of channel is getting you these numbers in your environment. If you wouldn't mind, perhaps you could e-mail me the channel at jacobb@webreachinc.com.

A different channel makes all the difference in the world. Some connectors take longer to establish connections or receive data. If you have a filter/transformer then your data is generally serialized from HL7 to XML which also greatly slows down processing. With a simple optimized routing channel, I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see numbers higher than 1000 messages per second.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:11 PM
Mirth Guru

jbartels is on a distinguished road

M56969 wrote:
Quote:
I tried java -X to review the advanced options, I don't see anything like XMax unless you are talking about -Xmx? What do you set it to? Example? Thanks
My bad. I was referring to -Xmx.

You set the -Xmx option for Mirth indirectly in <mirth dir>/conf/wrapper.conf on the line that reads "wrapper.java.maxmemory=128" . On my testing/demo systems I usually use 128-256MB. On the dedicated Mirth boxes I set it as high as possible for the other processes and available RAM in the system.

That limit is there to keep Java from sucking up all of your free memory so be careful with it. It is usually best to leave it alone and only tune it if you notice a slow-down or if the machine in question still has available memory when it is under load.

It's not exactly a scientific approach, but it usually works to eke out the best performance from a Java application while ensuring it doesn't crowd out other services running on a machine.

Zen is hiring!!!!
http://consultzen.com/careers/
Talented healthcare IT professionals wanted. Engineers to sales to management.
Good benefits, great working environment, genuinely interesting work.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Mirth Guru

quimicefa is on a distinguished road

The test were performed with Mirth 1.7.1, and a simple channel that listens on a webservices and writes the raw data to a remote SFTP. There are no filter or transformers at all ... I didn't repeated the tests with filters/some JS, ...