web stats
Best Practices for Pruning Messages - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

wit-man is on a distinguished road
Default Best Practices for Pruning Messages

Hello All,

I appear to be having an issue with Mirth. Every day at midnight, Mirth halts for ~1 hour as it prunes out old messages. This causes significant problems for our ER and Radiology departments as they have to wait over an hour for 1 study to come across.

My question is: Are there best practices for pruning to minimize this?

Currently pruning is set at the defaults of starting at midnight and pruning messages older than 30 days. Last night's batch pruned ~39,000 messages. Is there a way to split this out or another setting to change that will make this smoother? Mirth version is 2.1.1.5490. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:19 AM
Mirth Guru

cory_cole is on a distinguished road

We try to do it at the least active time.

Are you doing backups? The default time for that is also midnight. So, you could be doing backups, pruning and usual business @ the same time.

If you wanted to batch it, you could create a channel that deletes old messages that kicks of every X amount of time.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:47 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

If backing it up is part of a default configuration in Mirth, then probably. I have never seen anywhere to backup on a schedule, though. Where would that be?

These messages are currently set to prune after 30 days. Batch Pruning is enabled and the Pruning block size is "0". These settings were already in there.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:35 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

Can you set individual times for pruning for each channel? I see that you can set the number of days to retain for each channel, but not times. Would that slow it down or speed it up?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM
Mirth Guru

You can't do it by channel but you can change the time. Under 'Mirth Connect' select 'Settings' then the 'Message Pruner' tab. Changing the days of pruning would make it slightly faster. You are pruning 39,000 messages set at 30 days. That would be and averate of 1300 messages per day that are coming in. If you changed the pruning days to 25, you would be only 32,500 messages. Your best bet would be to change the time that the pruning occurs.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:43 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

Ok, so another question. Does pruning take roughly the same amount of time regardless of whether you do it daily, weekly, or monthly? The reason i ask is because i have this currently set to daily at midnight but the end time is almost exactly the same every day and sometimes messages pruned will be 40K and sometimes the messages pruned will be 10K. So the time for it to run appears to be the same regardless of the amount of messages actually pruned.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Mirth Guru

Usually the difference in time to delete a 10K - 40K SQL records is relatively insignifigant. Because Mirth stores the message 3 times for each record (raw, transformed and encoded) the records tend to be large. I have not done any benchmarks with Mirth to see how that effects the delete.

I believe the majority of the time is spent rebuilding indexes. Which depends on how the re-indexing is done. If just changes the indexes for deleted records, there will be a difference based on number of records. If it does a complete re-index, it won't make a difference.

Last edited by cory_cole; 07-18-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:17 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

Ok, thanks. My guess based upon what you said below is that it does a complete re-index because the times are so close whether it is 10K or 40K messages.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Mirth Guru

Which database are you using (Postgres, SQL Server, etc.)?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

I don't see a SQL Server instance so i am guess Postgres? I believe I just took the defaults but it has been a while since this was originally set up. Is there a way to see for sure or are those the only two options?