web stats
Mirth Connect High Availability - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM
What's HL7?

smunro is on a distinguished road
Default Mirth Connect High Availability

Hello,

I have just started working with Mirth Connect and I was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions or recommend workarounds. At present, we are not looking at using appliances.

1. Does Mirth Connect support an Active/Active model? I've seen examples where an Active/Passive model is used, but so far I haven't seen examples of the former.

2. Is it possible for multiple Mirth instances to use the same database? I'd like to be able to define my mirth connection metadata in the one DB and have this info synchronised across all mirth instances.

3. Is there a strategy in Mirth to handle message sequencing? So, if I have 2 instances of mirth and message 1,3 arrive at instance 1 and message 2 arrives at instance 2, is there an recommended approach to resequencing them. At present, I am considering a queue and a custom component to impose the correct sequencing, with the HL7 message having a custom identifer to help. What I'm concerned with is that I may be over complicating the archtecture and would like to know if anyone has attempted the above in a simplier manner?
Old 04-23-2014, 11:26 AM
Mirth Employee

narupley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smunro View Post
Hello,

I have just started working with Mirth Connect and I was wondering if anyone could answer the following questions or recommend workarounds. At present, we are not looking at using appliances.

1. Does Mirth Connect support an Active/Active model? I've seen examples where an Active/Passive model is used, but so far I haven't seen examples of the former.

2. Is it possible for multiple Mirth instances to use the same database? I'd like to be able to define my mirth connection metadata in the one DB and have this info synchronised across all mirth instances.

3. Is there a strategy in Mirth to handle message sequencing? So, if I have 2 instances of mirth and message 1,3 arrive at instance 1 and message 2 arrives at instance 2, is there an recommended approach to resequencing them. At present, I am considering a queue and a custom component to impose the correct sequencing, with the HL7 message having a custom identifer to help. What I'm concerned with is that I may be over complicating the archtecture and would like to know if anyone has attempted the above in a simplier manner?
Yes, our appliances support both active/passive clustering and active/active load balancing (using a director to round-robin traffic). It is definitely possible to use two Mirth Connect server instances connected to the same database, and that's currently supported for both 2.x and 3.x (though in 3.x many improvements were made). We are looking to greatly improve and streamline the use of multiple servers on a single database in an upcoming release, so be sure to stay tuned (i.e. on the Developer Q&A webinars if you're a support customer).

Nicholas Rupley
Work: 949-237-6069
Always include what Mirth Connect version you're working with. Also include (if applicable) the code you're using and full stacktraces for errors (use CODE tags). Posting your entire channel is helpful as well; make sure to scrub any PHI/passwords first.

- How do I foo?
- You just bar.

Last edited by narupley; 04-23-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:31 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

santosam is on a distinguished road

I'm using several approaches to have HA with Mirth Connect. Which one is better I really can't say, they all have pros and cons :-)
1. Two independent Mirth servers, each one with it's own database, behind a load balancer doing round-robin. The advantage is that if a database or server goes down the other is always up. The disadvantage is that I have to maintain two databases that are equal.
2. Two Mirth servers connected to a single database. It's like the first scenario but I only have to maintain one database and each change on a channel is immediatly available at the other server, just needing a redeploy. The problem is that if the database goes down I stop all Mirth instances...

On these installations, the order of the messages is not the critical thing. Here the critical point is the number of messages per second and the need to send the answers immediately. The worst case is something like 20 messages/queries per second that can't take more than 1 second to have an answer...
Old 04-24-2014, 08:16 AM
Mirth Employee

brentm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosam View Post
2. Two Mirth servers connected to a single database. It's like the first scenario but I only have to maintain one database and each change on a channel is immediatly available at the other server, just needing a redeploy. The problem is that if the database goes down I stop all Mirth instances...
Clustering the shared database as well will prevent it from being a single point of failure. Then both Mirth Connect and it's shared database would be highly available.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:29 AM
OBX.2 Kenobi

santosam is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentm View Post
Clustering the shared database as well will prevent it from being a single point of failure. Then both Mirth Connect and it's shared database would be highly available.
Yes, you're correct.
We've done that once with an Oracle RAC but Oracle and their CLOB were always giving tablespace errors - out of space. We now only use Postgres but it's tricky to have something like Oracle's RAC.