web stats
Source connector database reader pooling - Mirth Community

Go Back   Mirth Community > Mirth Connect > Support

Old 02-19-2020, 06:57 AM
Mirth Newb

usuariousuario is on a distinguished road
Default Source connector database reader pooling

My question is about the internals of Database reader connectors. NextGen/Mirth Connect versión is 3.5.1

We are trying the usual channel where the source is Database Reader. It does no more, as it is for a test. It queries an external database every minute. It works OK, as expected. But I am wondering how does the channel manages the connection to the external database.

Every minute the channel, does the connector open a new datasource?, does it get a connection, does it query the database? and does it close the connection finally?

I know there is the option "Keep Connection Open", which is supposed to close the connection between queries. But from which datasource does this connection from ? A brand-new one or a one created of first deployment?

In my specific case I am querying against a Microsoft SQL Server 2012, and if I query the sys.dm_exec_sessions there are a lot of sessions open from the mirth instance. Right now there are almost 30 opened sessions and there must be from only one source connector in a test channel, as the rest of the Mirth instance is empty. What am I missing about this behaviuor? No matter if I check "Keep connection open" or not.

Is there a way to configure this in another way?

Where can I see the source code of the Database Reader Connector?

Thank you very much in advance.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:50 AM
Mirth Guru

agermano is on a distinguished road

Here is the main server class for the Database Reader: https://github.com/nextgenhealthcare...eReceiver.java

Keep connection open only applies to SQL Query mode, and the class for that is here: https://github.com/nextgenhealthcare...iverQuery.java

It appears that it should only have at most 2 connections open at a time (per channel.) It always has an open connection for the query. It will also have a second connection open for doing updates if you have that option selected.
Old 02-20-2020, 05:27 AM
Mirth Newb

usuariousuario is on a distinguished road

Thanks agermano, I have been able to test there are two connections (one for the select and one for the update). When I undeploy the channel, two sessions are lost in the sys.dm_exec_sessions view. When I deploy the channel, two sessions are created.

But there are few other ones that I do not still know where they come from. I will keep looking for them. It may seem to be another different issue.

Thank you very much for the quick and clear response.

Tags
database, pool, pooling, reader